VizSec 2015 Call for Papers
The 12th IEEE Symposium on Visualization for Cyber Security (VizSec) is a forum that brings together researchers and practitioners from academia, government, and industry to address the needs of the cyber security community through new and insightful visualization and analysis techniques. VizSec provides an excellent venue for fostering greater exchange and new collaborations on a broad range of security- and privacy-related topics. VizSec will be held in Chicago, Illinois, USA in conjunction with IEEE VIS.
The purpose of VizSec is to explore effective and scalable visual interfaces for security domains such as network security, computer forensics, reverse engineering, insider threat detection, cryptography, privacy, user assisted attacks prevention, compliance management, wireless security, secure coding, and penetration testing.
Full papers describing novel contributions in security visualization are solicited. Papers may present techniques, applications, practical experience, theory, analysis, experiments, or evaluations. We encourage the submission of papers on technologies and methods that promise to improve cyber security practices, including, but not limited to:
- Situation awareness and/or understanding
- Incident handling including triage, exploration, correlation, and response
- Computer forensics
- Recording and reporting results of investigations
- Assisting proactive security configuration and deployment
- Reverse engineering and malware analysis
- Vulnerability management
- Multiple data source analysis
- Analyzing information requirements for computer network defense
- Evaluation and/or user testing of VizSec systems
- Criteria for assessing the effectiveness of cyber security visualizations (whether from a security goal perspective or a human factors perspective)
- Modeling system and network behavior
- Modeling attacker and defender behavior
- Studying risk and impact of cyber attacks
- Predicting future attacks or targets
- Security metrics and education
- Software security
- Mobile application security
- Social networking privacy and security
When applicable, visualization and interaction techniques that effectively capture the insights of human analysts and/or allow analysts to collaborate efficiently are particularly desirable.
Poster submissions may showcase late-breaking results, work in progress, preliminary results, or visual representations relevant to the VizSec community. The poster program will be a great opportunity for the authors to interact with the attendees and solicit feedback. Accepted poster abstracts will be made available on this website.
Tests and Evaluation
When applicable, submissions including tests and evaluations of the proposed tools and techniques are considered particularly desirable. If possible, making the data used for the tests available will also be considered positively. If you do not have real-world data to demonstrate your visualization, you may be interested in looking at the VAST Challenge data sets.
The VizSec 2015 proceedings will be published by IEEE. Submissions must be formated using the IEEE VGTC template that can be found at http://junctionpublishing.org/vgtc/Tasks/camera.html.
Papers should be at most 8 pages including the bibliography and appendices. Committee members are not required to read the appendices or any pages past the maximum. Submissions not meeting these guidelines will be rejected without consideration of their merit. Reviews are single-blind, so authors may include names and affiliations in their submissions. Submitted papers must not substantially overlap papers that have been published or that are simultaneously submitted to a journal or a conference with proceedings. Authors of accepted papers must guarantee that their papers will be presented at the conference.
Submit papers and poster abstracts using EasyChair: http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=vizsec2015
All deadlines are 5:00 PM PST
- August 1, 2015:
- Submission for Papers
- September 5, 2015
- Author Notification for Papers
- September 19, 2015
- Camera Ready Submission and Copyright Forms for Papers
- September 19, 2015
- Abstract Submission for Posters
- September 26, 2015
- Author Notification for Poster